The following summarizes information regarding employee benefits upon leaving the university. If you have any questions, please contact your Benefits Office.

Coverage is extended until the end of the month in which you last worked for the university. You can elect to continue your health benefits at your own expense by enrolling in COBRA.

A personalized continuation of coverage packet will be mailed to your home after your department has terminated your employment in the Human Resources Management System (HRMS). If you have not received a COBRA packet within two weeks after you have received your final pay from the university, please contact Jennifer Gang at 314- 362-4925.

You have 60 days after the later of 1) the cancellation of coverage date or 2) the date the university sends you the COBRA enrollment packet to enroll in COBRA continued health benefits. The same university health benefits can be extended for a period up to eighteen months and you are required to pay the total premium cost.

A Certification of Group Health Coverage will be included in the COBRA packet. Please retain this document for future insurance plan coverage.

COBRA Information Including Current Premiums

Flex Spending
You may submit claims for eligible heath care and child care expenses incurred on or before the last day of the month in which you last worked for the university. Although your flex health care payment card will no longer be active following that date, you can still submit claims to obtain reimbursement of either those eligible health care expenses on-line or by paper form. Participation in the health care spending account may be continued through COBRA for the remainder of the current calendar year. If you have any questions, please contact the Benefits Office at 314-362-4925. More information on Flex Spending

Health Savings Account (HSA)
HSAs are individually owned accounts and the funds remaining in the account can be used by the participant for future health care expenses at any time. The bank fees which are paid by the university for active employees become the responsibility of the account owner upon termination of employment. More information on HSA

Life Insurance
Coverage is extended until the end of the month in which you last worked for the university. You will be contacted by MetLife about continuing your group term life insurance at your own expense. If you elect to continue your term life insurance, you will be billed directly by MetLife at competitive rates. To set up direct payment arrangements for your MetLife GVUL policy please contact MetLife at 1-800-685-0124.  More information on Life Insurance

Long-Term Disability
Coverage ceases as of the date you last worked for the university. You may convert group long-term disability benefits to an individual policy within 31 days of your last day worked. If interested, please contact your Benefits Department at 314-935-5931.  More information on Long-Term Disability

Long-Term Care
Premium deductions for long term care insurance cease as of your last paycheck.  You may continue your group long-term care coverage with MetLife after you leave the university.  If interested, please contact MetLife at 1-888-748-4824 to set up individual payment arrangements.  More information on Long-Term Care

Tuition Assistance
Benefits cease at the end of the semester in which you last worked for the university. More information on Tuition Assistance

Retirement Savings Plan
Benefits cease as of your last paycheck. No action is required if you wish to leave your account with TIAA. When the time is right for you to move your account to a new employer sponsored plan, roll over to an Individual Retirement Account (IRA), or take a distribution, the action should be initiated by contacting TIAA at 888-488-3419.

Should you decide to withdraw all or a portion of the funds in your account, the distribution is subject to a 10% penalty, plus taxes, on distributions taken prior to age 59 1/2. If you are interested in taking a distribution from the Retirement Savings Plan, please contact TIAA at 888-488-3419.

All forms required to initiate the desired transaction should be sent directly to the vendor (employer signature is not required) verifying your termination date. Termination data is transmitted to the vendors daily. If the vendor does not have your termination date on file, they are instructed to contact WashU Human Resources to confirm that you are no longer actively employed with WashU. More information on Retirement Savings Plan

Deferred Compensation Plans

Notification will be sent to you by the vendor. If you do not take action within 60 days, you will receive a lump sum distribution.

Retirement Medical Savings Account (RMSA)
Effective January 1, 2016, the Retirement Medical Savings Account Plan (RMSA) has been amended to allow reimbursement of eligible out of pocket health care expenses to RMSA plan participants who have terminated employment at WashU, regardless of age or retirement status, without having to forfeit the university contribution balance if applicable.

If you terminate employment and would like to submit claims against your RMSA balance, please complete the “RMSA claims activation form” found on the Human Resources website.  Because the administrative fee is higher for those in claims status, we would advise you not to complete the form until you are certain you are ready to start submitting claims.  Per plan rules, terminated employees (not active employees or WashU retirees) are responsible for paying their own administrative fees.

For questions about your account balance or how to submit claims after you have completed the necessary forms and received the letter containing your debit card, please contact TIAA-CREF at 877-554-1004.

If you have completed the probationary period, you will be paid for any accrued vacation up to a maximum of 22 days.

Sick Leave
You will not be paid for accumulated sick days.

United Way, Savings Bond, Credit Union
If you are participating in any of these programs, deduction(s) will cease with your last paycheck. Savings bond deductions that are insufficient to purchase a bond will be refunded. If you have an outstanding loan with Credit Union, you will be responsible to set up alternative payment arrangements.

Outstanding Expenses
You must submit an expense report prior to your termination date to allow for reimbursement.

University Property
You will be responsible for returning keys, parking permit, ID card and any other university property in your possession.

The above summary represents policies and procedures as they exist today. Although we don’t anticipate changes in benefit plans or administration, the benefits above may be revised or eliminated.

Phased Retirement for Tenured and Clinician Track Faculty

Effective January 1, 2008, the university introduced a Phased Retirement Program for tenured and clinician track faculty members who meet the eligibility requirements. More information on Phased Retirement Program