Having a baby is an exciting and nervous time in many parents’ lives. Common questions expectant parents have are “How much leave am I eligible for, is leave paid or unpaid and how do I apply for it?” The answers to these questions depend on your employment classification (faculty, staff, postdoctoral appointee, clinical fellow), whether you are the birth mother or non-birth parent and whether or not you are eligible for Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave.

Generally, you are eligible to request an FMLA leave if you have been an employee of the University for at least twelve (12) months and have worked at least 1,250 hours during the twelve-month period immediately preceding the leave. The maximum amount of FMLA leave is 12 workweeks during a rolling 12-month period. If both you and your spouse are employed by the University, you and your spouse are limited to a combined total of 12 workweeks of FMLA leave during any 12-month period for the birth of a child. FMLA may be paid or unpaid and will run concurrently with any other leave you may take related to the birth of your baby.


For more information on the types of leave available to you, select the link below that applies to you.