Current Provider: MetLife
Washington University offers its employees and their families five different plans to meet their individual life insurance needs through the convenience of payroll deduction.
Death of a WashU/WUSM employee, retiree or dependent
If you are the surviving spouse, domestic partner, or dependent of a deceased WashU employee or retiree, or an active employee who has lost an insured dependent, please notify:
- WashU Benefits Team
Who Is Eligible?
Regular full-time and regular part-time benefits-eligible employees are eligible for basic term life insurance as of their hire date. This coverage is provided by WashU at no cost to eligible employees.
Eligible employees may enroll in one of the following plans:
- MetLife (Term)
- MetLife (Group Variable Universal Life)
- Free term life insurance
Regular full-time and part-time benefit eligible employees will be eligible for 1x base salary as of hire date. Note: An age reduction schedule applies after age 70.
Age Reduction Schedule for Basic Life Insurance
At age 70, the value of your insurance policy will be reduced to 68 percent.
At age 75, the value of your insurance policy will be reduced to 46 percent.
At age 80, the value of your insurance policy will be reduced to 30 percent.
- Supplemental term life and AD&D insurance
One, two, three or four times employee’s annual base salary
Employee Optional Term Life Premiums (PDF)
- Dependent term life and AD&D insurance
$25,000, $50,000, $75,000 or $100,000 for spouse or domestic partner
Dependent Term Life Premiums(PDF)
- Dependent child term life and AD&D insurance
$4,000 for eligible dependents birth to age 25
- Group Variable Universal life insurance
One through seven times employee’s annual base salary
Group Variable Universal Life Insurance Brochure (PDF)
Group Variable Universal Life Premiums (PDF)
View my GVUL Coverage (External Website)
Updating Your Beneficiary Information Online
Beneficiary information may be updated online through Employee Self Service. Go to Employee Self Service > Benefits > Insurance Summary. Then, click on MetLife MyBenefits. Beneficiary designations completed previously on paper remain active and are located at the Benefits office. Paper designations are not visible through Employee Self Service/MetLife MyBenefits. The benefits office recommends that you update your beneficiary every five years or with any family status change.
Eligible employees may enroll within 31 days after their date of hire.
You may enroll or increase your coverage at any time following the 31 days, by completing a Statement of Health application. Please contact the WashU Benefits team at 314-935-2332 or via email at HR-BenefitsMail@wustl.edu for this application.
Statement of Health Application
Once you have completed and mailed the Statement of Health application to MetLife, you will receive correspondence directly from MetLife about the processing of your application. This review process takes approximately four to six weeks.
Pending a decision by MetLife, you may be contacted directly for additional information. If additional information is required and you fail to respond to MetLife’s requests, you will be sent two reminders before your application is closed.
Basic term life insurance for regular full-time and regular part-time benefits-eligible employees is effective as of the hire date. Supplemental term life, dependent term life, dependent child term life and Universal Life are effective the first of the month coincident with or following date of hire and/or the first day of the month following the date that the health statement is approved by the insurance carrier.
- Accelerated Benefits Option (ABO): The Accelerated Benefits Option permits terminally ill insureds to receive a portion of their life insurance in advance to minimize the financial burden of medical and other expenses – up to 80% of the total insured amount.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefit: The Washington University Supplemental and Dependent Accidental Death and Dismemberment Plans provide a Dismemberment Benefit that is a percent of the full amount of the AD&D benefit if the plan participant or plan participant’s dependent suffers paralysis; the loss of a limb, speech, hearing, or sight; brain damage; or coma as a result of an accident.
- Will Preparation: Supplemental Term enrollment provides participants and their spouse/domestic partner access to will preparation services to prepare and update a basic will, living will and power or attorney.
View Will Preparation Information (PDF)