If you get married or enter into a domestic partner relationship, you can add your spouse/domestic partner to your health/dental/vision coverage or you may cancel your health/dental/vision coverage and be added to your spouse’s/domestic partner’s coverage. You may also make changes to your flexible spending accounts. Any change you make must be made within 31 days of the date of your marriage/domestic partner relationship. Changes to your health/dental/vision and flexible spending accounts will be effective as of the date of your marriage/domestic partner relationship.

With any change in marital/partner status, in addition to making changes to your health/dental/vision coverage and flexible spending accounts, you should also:

  • Review and consider making changes to your health savings account elections.
  • Review and consider updating your optional employee life insurance and AD&D elections. If you elect to increase or enroll in optional employee life insurance, MetLife may require a Statement of Health (also referred to as evidence of insurability).
  • Consider enrolling your spouse/domestic partner in the spouse/domestic partner life and AD&D plans. If you add coverage for your spouse/domestic partner under the spouse/domestic partner insurance life plan, MetLife may require a Statement of Health (also referred to as evidence of insurability).
  • Review your current life insurance, health savings account and Retirement Savings Plan (403(b)) beneficiary designations and make any necessary updates. Your life insurance beneficiary can be changed through Workday. Your health savings account beneficiary can be changed by logging onto your Optum Financial account. The Retirement Savings Plan requires that your spouse be listed as your primary beneficiary unless this right is waived by your spouse. Update your Retirement Savings Plan beneficiary election by logging onto your TIAA (external website) account.

You can make changes online through Workday. Please reference the Change Benefit Election tutorial for help.


If you are eligible for full-time health and dental contribution rates and elect to add your spouse/domestic partner to your health and/or dental coverage, be sure to select the “Health Care and Accounts – Spousal Surcharge” benefit and select the appropriate election. If your annual salary is $50,000 or more and your new spouse/domestic partner is (1) employed outside of WashU; (2) is eligible for health insurance through their own employer; and (3) is eligible for full-time health premiums under their own employer’s plan, you will be subject to the spousal surcharge.

Changes to your health savings account, optional life insurance (employee, spouse/domestic partner and child) and retirement medical savings account coverage may be made at any time.

Required Documentation

  • Marriage: You will need to upload a copy of your marriage certificate (scan or legible picture) to the Workday Change Reason page before making any benefit changes.
  • Domestic Partnership: You will need to complete the Domestic Partner Affidavit.