Knowing that family members are safe and well-cared for is the cornerstone of healthy work-life balance. Washington University is committed to providing the support you need to navigate the systems that provide care.
Washington University partners with Bright Horizons, Care.com, and Guidance Resources to provide a range of supports for families. To access these supports, you will need to pre-register with each service.
Register online with your WashU employee ID
Web ID: WASHU
Emergency/Back-Up Family Care
There are two options for care through Bright Horizons or Care.com. Use back-up care when you have an emergency situation, such as a sick caregiver, help after a medical procedure, shift change or your school or daycare is closed.
After registering, go to Bright Horizons, then select “Additional Family Supports” and “Reserve Back-Up Care.” You can also reserve care by calling 1-877-242-2737 or by downloading and using the Bright Horizons app on your phone.
- Request center-based or in-home care
- Request same-day care, or care for future dates
- 30 uses per calendar year
- Center-based care is $20 per use for one child, $30 per use for more than one child
- In-home care is $7 per hour with a 4 hour minimum.
Faculty and staff can use up to 5 days of care through Care.com.
- Click “Let’s Get Started” and follow the prompts to register. Your Employee ID will be the letter “E” followed by your six-digit employee ID number. Use these same credentials to login going forward.
- Login at washu.care.com or the Care@Work app to get started. You can also call 866-814-1638.
- Identify the type of care you need on the website or the app. If you’re calling in, press the number that corresponds to your care needs.
- Follow the prompts to complete your search for care.
Copays for Care.com apply. In-home copays are $7 per hour for child or adult care, and $20 each day for in-center child care.
Below are two additional resources for family care that are not affiliated with Washington University, nor are they endorsed by the university, but are listed for informational purposes only. Copays may apply.
Search for a sitter or hire a nanny online. You may also contact by telephone at 314-725-5660.
Find a last-minute sitter or a long-term sitter online or by calling 314-625-8420.
Need more help?
A Word from Our CFCF!
Hi! I am Lisa Eberle-Mayse, the Child and Family Care Facilitator at Washington University. In this role, I support faculty and staff families in finding and maintaining the care they need for their family members. Knowing that those we love are safe and happy is the cornerstone of successful work-life balance, but it can be challenging to navigate the systems that provide this care. I am able to help faculty and staff utilize existing university resources effectively, as well as those in the broader community. I bring forty years of experience in early care and education to this role—I’ve been a teacher, Child Care Center Director and Inclusion Specialist. I am also the proud mother of two grown children; the doting Baba of two amazing grandchildren, and the grateful daughter of a parent living with dementia. I enjoy getting to know WashU families, and I look forward to meeting yours! You can reach me by email at email@example.com, or by phone at 314-935-3060.