Support is available to help you cope and manage your mental well-being. Resources range from one-on-one counseling, psychiatry services, mindfulness programs, webinars, tools and app’s. Find the care you need. You are not alone – reach out for help and care when you need it.
Work-Life Solutions – Employee Assistance Program
Work-Life Solutions, powered by Guidance Resources, the university’s employee assistance program offers free, confidential, 24/7 support, resources and information for every aspect of your life. As a part of their services, counselors can help you or your family members address personal challenges including:
- Anxiety, depression, stress
- Grief, loss and life adjustments
- Relationship/marital conflicts
Employees receive five counseling sessions per issue free of charge. Call 844-365-4587 to access a Guidance Resources Consultant, who will answer your questions and, if needed, refer you to a counselor or other resources. You can also log on to GuidanceResources.com to consult articles, podcasts, videos and other helpful tools. (When registering on the site, enter WASHU as the Web ID.)
For information on more resources available through Work-Life Solutions, visit the Work-Life Solutions (EAP) page.
Affordable Mental Health Care for Employees and Children
To support the university community, the Washington University Psychiatry service offers convenient, affordable, evidence-based mental health care for employees and their children. Learn more about WashU Psychiatry services. Call 314-286-1700 to make an appointment.
UnitedHealthcare Behavioral Health Benefit
UnitedHealthcare members can access 24/7 support for a range of needs, including counseling, medication management and substance abuse recovery services. Your Behavioral Health benefit (PDF) provides confidential help for those everyday challenges and for more serious problems.
Call member services 24/7 at 800-382-2599 or log into myuhc.com and follow these steps:
- Select: “Find a Doctor”
- Select: “Mental Health Directory”
- Select: “People”
Or if you prefer to connect with a provider from the comfort of your home at a time that is convenient for you, you can schedule a mental health virtual visit. Continue on after selecting “People”:
- Select: “Provider Type”
- Select: “Telemental Health Providers”
Additional Mental Health Resources
App’s, online support groups, mindfulness resources and other helpful links to help you cope through challenges. Find what works for you to find peace, joy, hope and support you need.
Employee Wellness program
Practicing mindfulness-based stress reduction and becoming aware of habitual reactions to tough situations can help in preventing distress that could lead to serious health conditions, including depression, anxiety and other mental disorders. Developing a daily stress-reducing practice can help you experience better emotional control, improved concentration, and a greater sense of ease throughout the day. Learn about more employee programming available through Wellness Connection, the employee wellness program.
Care and Connection Toolkit
Send gratitude, hope, care and messages of support to colleagues. Find sample messages, templates and ways to spread hope in our community – to those on the front lines and across the university. View the Toolkit
Sanvello Mobile App
Download the Sanvello mobile app for help with stress, anxiety, and depression. Learn more (video)
Dig deeper into mental health topics that are important to you with these short videos from PsychHub. Watch the videos here.
Message a dedicated therapist anytime, anywhere, 24/7. Therapists respond daily, five days a week. Schedule live video sessions, when needed. Your cost will reflect the behavioral health office visit benefit according to the plan you are on. You may use your FSA or HSA money to assist in paying your portion. Learn more at talkspace.com/connect.
Sign in to the Demo for an overview of the member experience, highlighting differentiating features of the Talkspace platform and services.
App’s for Self-Care
- Calm is a great app for sleep, meditation, and relaxation. It has simple meditation tools that can make you feel relaxed, calm and peaceful. Download it at Google Play or Apple’s App Store. Calm is also available in a web version at calm.com.
- Headspace is great app that makes meditation simple. It teaches people the life changing skills of meditation and mindfulness in just a few minutes to help people stress less and focus more and even sleep better.
- Simple Habit is offering a new, free meditation collections designed specifically for stress and anxiety related to COVID-19. Topics include self-care, easing fear, mindful communication with family, and guided yoga. Download it at Google Play or Apple’s App Store.
- Muse is offering a ‘Stress Less” collection of 20 guided meditations by world-renowned practitioners for free within the app. Download it at Google Play or Apple’s App Store.
- Smiling Mind is a free app that provides guided meditation and mindfulness exercises for both children and adults. Specialty content developed for school-aged children and young adults is also provided free of charge to encourage healthy emotional well-being for all ages. Download the app at Google Play or Apple’s App Store.
- Healthy Minds Program is podcast-style app that provides lessons for both resting and active sessions to help you improve your well-being. It’s also a free skill-based learning app that explains the science behind well-being practices. Download the app at Google Play or Apple’s App Store.
- Shine App focuses on daily habits for rest, healing and growth to support mental health. Get support, for a fee, from a diverse team that understands your unique needs and contains an audio library of over 800+ original meditations, bedtime stories and calming sounds to help you shift your mindset. Learn more on the Shine website.
Helping Our Own – #WashUTogether
Faculty and staff from Psychiatry, the Department of Medicine, Human Resources, the Brown School of Social Work and Habif Health and Wellness work together to ensure our mental health support meets the needs of our community.