Time Off that may be Available to You
- If eligible, up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave
- Runs concurrently with any paid Parental leave
- Notify Department Chair and then contact WashU’s leave team to request FMLA
If Full-Time Faculty, paid Parental leave of up to 15 consecutive weeks
- Provide written request to Department Chair or Dean
- Notify WashU’s leave team
- Parental leave must be completed within one year of child’s birth or adoption
Considerations after baby is born
You have 62 days from the date of birth to add your newborn to your health/dental/vision coverage (even if you already have family coverage) and make changes to your flexible spending accounts. Changes to your health/dental/vision coverage and flexible spending account will be effective as of the date of birth.
In addition to making changes to your health/dental/vision coverage and flexible spending accounts, you should also:
- Review and consider making changes to your health savings account elections.
- Review and consider updating your optional life insurance and AD&D elections (employee, spouse/domestic partner and child). If you elect to increase or enroll in employee and/or spouse/domestic partner life insurance, MetLife may require a Statement of Health (also referred to as evidence of insurability).
- Review your current life insurance, health savings account and Retirement Savings Plan (403b) beneficiary designations and make any necessary updates. Your life insurance beneficiary can be changed through Workday. Your health savings account beneficiary can be changed by logging onto your Optum Financial account. Your Retirement Savings Plan beneficiary designation must be updated through your account at TIAA. Note: If you are married, the Retirement Savings Plan requires that your spouse be listed as your primary beneficiary unless this right is waived by your spouse.
To make changes to your benefits, log into Workday, select the Benefits application, and then click Benefits in the Change section. Next, select the Birth event from the Change Reason list and enter the date of birth. You do not need to submit any documentation to add your newborn to coverage. Once you have clicked Submit on the Change Reason page, click the Open button to start the Change Benefit Elections task. This event must be completed within 62 days from the date of birth.
Be sure to add your newborn’s social security number through Workday Employee Self Service once you receive it.
Note: Changes to your health savings account, optional life insurance (employee, spouse/domestic partner and/or child) and retirement medical savings account coverage may be made at any time.
- Healthy Pregnancy Program
- FMLA Policy
- Faculty Request FMLA Process (PDF)
- Danforth Campus Policy on Parental Leave for Full-Time Faculty
- Lactation Policy (Infant Nursing Rooms)
- Family Care
- Work-Life Solutions (EAP)
For additional information, contact the WashU Leaves team at firstname.lastname@example.org.