Managers are expected to help attract, retain, and reward the very best workforce at Washington University. Manager responsibilities include supporting an employee’s career development to improve individual and unit performance and productivity, increase employee engagement and motivation, and enhance efficiency and innovation.
Managers achieve this through:
- Support, guidance, and mentorship.
- Ongoing conversations regarding performance evaluation, and career and professional development.
- Constructive and timely feedback on current job responsibilities and skills.
- Opportunities for skill development and professional growth within your unit.
- Information about in-house and external training and continuing education.
- Referral information about career development and all other benefits offered at Washington University.
- Assisting with an employee’s Individual Development Plan (PDF).
- Encourage employees to develop and strengthen Competencies for Success.
Resources and Tools
- Individual Development Plan (PDF)
- Manager Resources
- Learning and Development
- Leadership Development
- Performance Evaluation
- Transfer Policy and Procedure
- What Great Managers Do
- Motivating People Starts with Having the Right Attitude
- Don’t Kill Your Employees’ Dreams
- My Better Self: Using Strengths at Work (PDF)