Current Provider: VSP® Vision Care
- Group Number: #12271345
- Customer Service: 1-800-877-7195
- Website: VSP.com
Washington University offers eligible employees two vision coverage options – Basic and Buy-Up. Both options are insured through Vision Service Plan (VSP).
Basic Coverage Summary
Coverage under the Vision Basic option includes the following:
- Routine eye exam per calendar year for a $10 co-pay when visiting a participating VSP provider or reimbursement up to $50 when visiting a non-participating provider. In the case of a non-participating provider, you must complete an Out-of-Network Reimbursement Form (PDF) and submit it to VSP with your receipt.
- 20% discount on the VSP provider’s usual and customary charge for prescription eyeglass lenses and frames.
- A $50 allowance on the VSP provider’s contact lens exam (fitting and evaluation) and contact lenses.
- In lieu of contact lenses, a $50 material allowance per calendar year is available for the purchase of prescription eyeglasses at VSP network providers or non-participating providers. For eyeglasses purchased from a VSP provider, the $50 allowance will be taken after the 20% discount has been applied. To obtain reimbursement of the $50 materials allowance for the purchase of prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses from a non-participating provider, you must complete and submit an Out-of-Network Reimbursement Form (PDF) and submit the form with your receipt to VSP.
Buy-Up Coverage Summary
Coverage under the Vision Buy-Up option includes:
- Routine eye exam for a $10 co-pay when visiting a participating VSP provider, or reimbursement up to $50 when visiting a non-participating provider. In the case of a non-participating provider, you must complete an Out-of-Network Reimbursement Form (PDF) and submit it to VSP with your receipt.
- $25 co-pay for the purchase of prescription eyeglasses (single vision, lined bifocal or trifocal lenses) from a participating VSP provider each calendar year. A $200 allowance ($250 for featured brands) plus a 20% discount per calendar year for the purchase of prescription eyeglass frames from a participating VSP provider.
- In lieu of prescription eyeglasses, a $200 allowance per calendar year for the purchase of contact lenses from a participating VSP provider. A $60 allowance for contact lens exam (fitting and evaluation) per calendar year.
- An allowance of between $30 – $210 (depending on the product) for prescription eyeglass frames and lenses or an allowance of up to $105 for contact lenses purchased from non-participating providers. To obtain reimbursement of the allowance for materials purchased from a non-participating provider, you must complete and submit an Out-of-Network Reimbursement Form (PDF) and submit the form with your receipt to VSP.
*Not available to Euclid Power Plant Bargaining Unit Employees
2023 Monthly Premiums for the Vision Coverage
|Vision Basic||Vision Buy-Up|
|Individual + Child/ren||$2.00||$15.74|
|Individual + Spouse/Partner||$2.00||$14.80|
Additional details on the Basic and Buy-Up Coverage
- VSP Comparison of Basic vs. Buy-Up Coverage (PDF)
- VSP Buy-Up Plan Lens Options (PDF)
- VSP Buy-Up Option FAQ (PDF)
- Eyeconic Overview with Benefit Integration (PDF)
- TruHearing Hearing Aid Discount Through VSP (PDF)
Separate identification (ID) cards are not issued by VSP nor are required to obtain vision benefits. To utilize your VSP benefits at a participating VSP provider, give the provider your name and ID (your WashU ID preceded by 3 zeros). The VSP provider will be able to verify your VSP coverage on-line with that information. Participants can, however, print a personalized ID card from the VSP website. The personalized ID card includes the participant’s name and co-pay information. This VSP ID card is available for convenience purposes only, and is not required for service.
To Find a VSP Eye Care Provider
For VSP benefits information or to find a participating VSP provider, visit the VSP website or call VSP directly at 1-800-877-7195. Follow the instructions below to find a participating VSP provider near you.
- Visit the VSP website
- Select Members, then log in or register
- Select Find a VSP Doctor
- Enter a city, state and/or zip code
- Click on Search
Registering on VSP’s Website
When you register on VSP’s website to locate participating VSP providers or to view your vision benefits coverage, you are asked to select one of the following two identification options:
- Last four of SSN
- Member/Employee ID
Since WashU does not feed Social Security Number information to VSP, please select the “Member/Employee ID” option and then enter your WashU Employee ID. (Note: 9 digits must be entered, so please precede your Employee ID with zeros as necessary.) If you don’t know what your WashU Employee ID is, it can be found in Workday by going to the Personal Information app and then selecting About Me. Your Employee ID can also be found on your payslip.
A plan document provides complete benefit plan information, including explanation of terms, eligibility information, services, expenses, claim procedures, rights and responsibilities, and more.