Postdoctoral Research Scholars & Clinical Fellows with Outside Funding
Postdoctoral Research Scholars or Clinical Fellows are eligible for university benefits. There are occasions when the Postdoc Scholars or Clinical Fellows receive funding directly from outside sources that is not routed through the university.
This policy provides guidance to departments on determining the total amount needed to cover the cost of Postdoc Scholars’ or Clinical Fellows’ benefits:
- Prior to offering a Postdoc Scholar or Clinical Fellow a position, the department is responsible for determining if the outside funding source will provide funds to the university sufficient to cover the cost of the benefits for the Postdoc Scholar or Clinical Fellow. If the funding agency’s funds are not sufficient to completely cover the Postdoc Scholar’s or Clinical Fellow’s benefits, the department must provide the remainder.
- The Postdoc Scholar or Clinical Fellow will be eligible for university benefits applicable to and/or selected by the Postdoc Scholar or Clinical Fellow
- The Postdoc Scholar or Clinical Fellow will be eligible to elect coverage under medical, dental, vision, optional employee life, optional employee AD&D, spouse/domestic partner term life, spouse/domestic partner AD&D, and child term life and AD&D. In addition, the Postdoc Scholar or Clinical Fellow is automatically covered under basic employee life and AD&D and long-term disability.
- The department cannot prevent a Postdoc Scholar or Clinical Fellow from enrolling in an option they are eligible for and cannot prohibit the Postdoc Scholar or Clinical Fellow from covering any dependents.
- The total cost of university benefits that must be covered by the external funds or the department’s funds includes the applicable departmental fringe benefit charges for such Postdoc Scholar or Clinical Fellow and the Postdoc Scholar or Clinical Fellow’s portion of benefit costs, including premiums for voluntary or optional benefit elections.
- For assistance with estimating the cost of benefits, please contact the Benefits team at 314-935-2332, Option 1 or via email at HRemail@example.com
Rev March 6, 2023