Monthly Work-Life Solutions feature from GuidanceResources:
Buying goods and services on the internet can be an easy and convenient way to do your shopping this holiday season. However, you have to be careful that you are making wise shopping decisions. These tips can help you shop with confidence and reap the benefits of buying online.
Know the Seller
- Review the company’s website for full contact information, including street address (not just a P.O. box), domestic phone number (toll-free preferred), fax number and e-mail address.
- Check social media pages. Do they have a lot of followers and likes? Is the online community satisfied with the company and their products?
- Contact the Better Business Bureau to check for complaints against the company
- Print a list of the good/services as well as the purchase invoice, online receipt and confirmation number.
- Double-check all the information you enter on the order form.
- The website should include a return/exchange policy.
- Record password from the company website’s shopping account.
- Buy from merchants who use Secure Electronic Transaction (SET) technology.
- Check the computer’s browser for safety icons to ensure you are entering secure sites.
- Experts say that using credit cards is the safest way to buy online.
- Stay Safe Online: https://staysafeonline.org/stay-safe-online/protect-your-personal-information/online-shopping
- Better Business Bureau: www.bbb.org
©2018 ComPsych ® Corporation. All rights reserved. This information is for educational purposes only. It is always important to consult with the appropriate professional on financial, medical, legal, behavioral or other issues. As you read this information, it is your responsibility to make sure that the facts and ideas apply to your situation.