Procedure To Set a Preferred Name
An employee may set a preferred name within HRMS Employee Self Service. This name will show in the Online Directory.
To set a preferred name:
- Enter HRMS Employee Self Service
- Click on "Personal Information"
- Click on "Personal Information Summary" and click “Change Preferred First Name.” If a preferred first name is entered in HRMS Employee Self Service, the preferred first name change will typically be reflected within one business day.
Email Address & Display Name:
To change an email address and display name:
- Enter HRMS Self Service >
- Click on "Personal Information"
- Click on "Email Addresses" and make the desired change.
Please note that if an email address is changed, employees will not lose access to their emails from their previous address, however any emails to an old address will not forward. Employees are encouraged to send their new email address to their contacts.
The process for changing your legal name varies by state and country of residence and reason for the change. It is not a process that can be done at the university. The University will only change a legal name when an employee pursues a legal name change with their state of residence and/or federal authorities and then submits a legal name change document (typically a court order) to the Office of Human Resources. In this case, an employee must also submit an updated I-9 form to Human Resources. Please note that U.S. residents must change their legal name with the Social Security Administration as well.
Legal Name: The name legally given to an individual and documented on a birth certificate, court order, or certificate of naturalization.
Preferred Name: A name commonly used that differs from an individual’s legal first name
For technical questions about the policy and procedure, please contact the Office of the Human Resources at (314) 935-5990 for Danforth and (314) 362-7196 for School of Medicine.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I set my preferred name to whatever I want?
Employees have the right to choose their preferred first name. However, Washington University reserves the right to remove any preferred name that is deemed inappropriate.
- Where will my preferred name display?
There are two places an employee’s preferred name can display: in their email address and display name and in the University Directory.
- Where will my legal name be displayed?
Your legal name must be used in all official employment and payroll records.
- How do I change my legal name on my legal identifications and records?
The process for changing your legal name varies by state and country of residence and reason for the change. It is not something that is done at the University. For more information about changing your legal name in Missouri, please visit http://www.courts.mo.gov/hosted/probono/name_change.htm or http://www.selfrepresent.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=3834. U.S. residents must change their names with the Social Security Administration as well.
- How do I change or correct my legal name at the university?
If your name appears incorrectly or if you have pursued a legal name change at the state or federal level, please bring legal documentation to the Office of Human Resources so that the university can update your record and update your I-9.
- How do I revoke my preferred name or information from the University Directory?
An employee’s name will be disclosed in University Directory unless the employee opts not to permit such disclosure. To revoke the university’s disclosure of directory information, please contact the Office of Human Resources.
- What if I already have a preferred name in the HRMS record?
If the preferred name in HRMS matches your legal name, it will be deleted when the policy is implemented. Any preferred names that do not match a legal first name will remain in the system. You can access and update the preferred name field anytime. There cannot be any punctuation used in the preferred name field due to the system programming