In partnership with Bright Horizons Family Solutions, Washington University offers the Back-Up Care Advantage Program to assist eligible individuals in balancing the competing demands of life and work. The benefit provides back-up care for eligible individuals when they need to be at work and their regular child or elder/adult care is unavailable.
- Benefits-eligible faculty and staff
- Clinical fellows
- Post docs
- Full-time graduate and professional students
- Center-based back-up child care
- In-home back-up & mildly ill child care
- In-home back-up elder/adult care
Area of Availability
Care options are available for dependents nationwide, including when accompanying or separated from eligible University employees on business travel.
Eligible individuals are allotted 15 back-up care uses per family or household per calendar year (see User Guides below for usage definitions).
- Center-based care is $20 per child per visit, with a $30 per family per visit maximum.
- In-home care for children and adults/elders is $7 per hour with a four-hour minimum requirement for all in-home care services. Additional charges apply for medical care.
Registration & Reservations
Dependents must be registered before care is provided. Reservations for care are required and may be made one month in advance up until the day care is needed. When registering or making reservations, please be prepared to provide your name, role (e.g., faculty or staff), and school/department.
To register or to make reservations for care, please contact Bright Horizons Family Solutions as by phone at 877-242-2737 or by accessing Brighthorizons.com/advantage and entering username “WUBACKUP” and password “BACKUP.”
Back-Up Care (Bright Horizons) Mobile App
The mobile app allows you to:
- Create and manage your account
- Make new care requests in seconds, by copying past reservations
- Stay updated with real-time notifications
- Stay logged in with Touch ID
- Easily manage your payment methods
- And more!
Username: WUBackup; Password: Backup
For questions concerning benefit eligibility, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 314-935-5990.
- Back-up Care Advantage: In-home and Child Care FAQs (PDF)
- Back-Up Care Advantage Program At-A-Glance (PDF)
- Preparing for In-Home Childcare – Tip Sheet (PDF)
- Preparing for Center-Based Childcare – Tip Sheet (PDF)
- Preparing for In-Home Adult/Elder Care – Tip Sheet (PDF)
- Back-Up Care Advantage Program Overview Webinar (external site)
- Back-Up Care Advantage Program Adult/Elder Care Information Webinar (external site)