|Dates Offered||Time||Location||Target Audience|
|September 29, 2022||9:00 – 11:00 a.m.||Virtual Classroom via Zoom||All WashU Staff|
|December 1, 2022||9:00 – 11:00 a.m.||Virtual Classroom via Zoom||All WashU Staff|
|March 2, 2023||9:00 – 11:00 a.m.||Virtual Classroom via Zoom||All WashU Staff|
|May 4, 2023||9:00 – 11:00 a.m.||Virtual Classroom via Zoom||All WashU Staff|
Writing clear, concise, and easily understood communications is an important skill that can help your relationships and results at work. In a time of “alternate operations,” this can be even more crucial. This course provides knowledge and techniques to inform, persuade, and impress your audience.
Business Writing will address punctuation, capitalization, usage, sentence construction, coherence, redundancy, and organization. Participants will work individually on writing style, and other problems of business writing including email correspondence.
Participants will learn to:
- How to focus on the necessary words
- Learn to recognize words and sentence structure that can confuse the reader
- Increase your awareness of grammar usage • Identify when to use which word – There, Their, They’re – Who, Whom, Whose, Who’s — Your, You’re — Good, Well and To, Two, Too – plus a few more.
- Practice rewriting sentences to make them concise and easy to read
- Apply tips and ideas to develop effective and professional email correspondence
Associate Director of The Writing Center and The Speaking Studio
An important note: Our goal in Learning and Development is to create the same level of rich engagement in our virtual classroom as we do in our in-person classes. Therefore, the day of the session:
- Ensure you’re in an environment that will allow you to participate fully! This will be an interactive session and your contribution is important.
- Turn off your email and phone notifications to avoid distractions.
- Be camera ready! Participants are expected to have their cameras on during the entire session.
- Have a pen and paper ready.
- Log in early to the session through the Zoom link.
Once registered in Learn@Work, you will receive a Zoom invitation for the date/time selected; instructions will be included in the invitation.
Contact Katie Nolen
All programs are subject to change.