|June 19, 2019||9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||West Campus Training Room B|
|September 26, 2019||9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||West Campus Training Room B|
|December 12, 2019||9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||West Campus Training Room B|
|March 3, 2020||9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||West Campus Training Room B|
|June 4, 2020||9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||West Campus Training Room B|
Writing clear, concise, and easily understood communications is an important skill that can help your relationships and results at work. This course provides knowledge and techniques to inform, persuade, and impress your audience. Business Writing will address punctuation, capitalization, usage, sentence construction, coherence, redundancy, and organization. Participants will work individually on writing style, documentation, and other problems of business writing including email correspondence.
Participants will learn to:
- How to focus on the necessary words
- Learn to recognize words and sentence structure that can confuse the reader
- Increase your awareness of grammar usage
- Identify when to use which word – There, Their, They’re – Who, Whom, Whose, Who’s — Your, You’re — Good, Well and To, Two, Too – plus a few more.
- Practice rewriting sentences to make them concise and easy to read
- Apply tips and ideas to develop effective and professional email correspondence
Competencies: Adding Value; Results Focus
Certification Program: This is a required course for the Administrative Professional Certification program
Audience: All Washington University Staff
Facilitated by: Steven Pijut, Associate Director of the Writing Center
Registration Fee: $35 includes all materials for this workshop
No-Show and Late Cancellation Fees: There will be a charge equal to the registration fee to cover the cost of materials for no-shows and late cancellations (less than 5 business days prior to class). For classes with no registration fee, this charge is $50.
Human Resources Learning & Development Center
West Campus, West Building
7509 Forsyth Blvd., Suite 001
Training Room B, Lower Level
West Campus Map
Contact Shirley Ikemeier
All programs are subject to change.