Washington University's Vision Service Plan (VSP)
Group Number: #12271345
VSP Customer Service #: 1-800-877-7195
Basic vision coverage under a vision plan insured through Vision Service Plan (VSP) is automatically provided for all faculty and staff employees who are enrolled in a Washington University health plan. The University-paid Basic Coverage under the vision plan includes the following:
- Routine eye exam per calendar year for a $20 co-pay when visiting a participating VSP provider or reimbursement up to $50 when visiting a non-participating provider. In the case of a non-participating provider, you must complete an Out-of-Network Reimbursement Form and submit it to VSP with your receipt.
- 20% discount on the VSP provider's usual and customary charge for prescription eyeglass lenses and frames.
- 15% discount on the VSP provider's contact lens exam (fitting and evaluation) when purchasing contact lenses.
- A $50 material allowance per calendar year is available for the purchase of prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses at VSP network providers or non-participating providers. For eyeglasses purchased from a VSP provider, the $50 allowance will be taken after the 20% discount has been applied. To obtain reimbursement of the $50 materials allowance for the purchase of prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses from a non-participating provider, you must complete and submit an Out-of-Network Reimbursement Form and submit the form with your receipt to VSP.
Faculty and staff employees who are enrolled in a WUSTL health plan may elect to purchase the Buy-Up Coverage. If you elect the Buy-Up Coverage, you must cover the same dependents under that option as are covered under your health plan. The Buy-Up Coverage includes:
- Routine eye exam for a $20 co-pay when visiting a participating VSP provider, or reimbursement up to $50 when visiting a non-participating provider. In the case of a non-participating provider, you must complete an Out-of-Network Reimbursement Form and submit it to VSP with your receipt.
- $40 co-pay for the purchase of prescription eyeglasses (single vision, lined bifocal or trifocal lenses) from a participating VSP provider each calendar year. A $150 allowance ($170 for featured brands, effective 1/1/14) plus a 20% discount per calendar year for the purchase of prescription eyeglass frames from a participating VSP provider; or
- A $150 allowance per calendar year for the purchase of contact lenses from a participating VSP provider. A 15% discount with a fee limit of $60 for contact lens exam (fitting and evaluation) per calendar year.
An allowance of between $50 - $100 (depending on the product) for prescription eyeglass frames and lenses or
an allowance of up to $105 for contact lenses purchased from non-participating providers. To obtain reimbursement of the allowance for materials purchased from a non-participating provider, you must complete and submit an Out-of-Network Reimbursement Form
and submit the form with your receipt to VSP.
*Excludes Euclid Power Plant Bargaining Unit Employees
The 2017 monthly premiums for the vision Buy-Up Option are:
|Individual + Child/ren
|Individual + Spouse/Partner
For additional details on the Basic and Buy-Up Coverage:
Separate identification (ID) cards are not issued by VSP nor are required to obtain vision benefits. To utilize your VSP benefits at a participating VSP provider, give the provider your name and ID (your WUSTL ID preceded by 3 zeros). The VSP provider will be able to verify your VSP coverage on-line with that information. Participants can, however, print a personalized ID card from the VSP website. The personalized ID card includes the participant's name, WUSTL's plan ID number, and co-pay information. This VSP ID card is available for convenience purposes only, and is not required for service.
To Find a VSP Eye Care Provider
For VSP benefits information or to find a participating VSP provider, visit the VSP website or call VSP directly at 1-800-877-7195. Washington University providers, as well as Barnes Eyecare Network (BECN) providers (pdf), are included in the VSP provider network. Follow the instructions below to find a participating VSP provider near you.
2. Select Members, then log in or register
3. Select Find a VSP Doctor
4. Enter a city, state and/or zip code
5. Click on Search
Registering on VSP's Website
When you register on VSP’s website (www.vsp.com
) to locate participating VSP providers or to view your vision benefits coverage, you are asked to select one of the following two identification options:
- Last four of SSN
- Member/Employee ID
Since WUSTL does not feed Social Security Number information to VSP, please select the “Member/Employee ID” option and then enter your WUSTL Empl ID (Note: 9 digits must be entered, so please precede your Empl ID with zeros as necessary) . If you don’t know what your WUSTL Empl ID is, it can be found in HRMS Employee Self-Service on your time sheet or on your paycheck stub.
A plan document provides complete benefit plan information, including explanation of terms, eligibility information, services, expenses, claim procedures, rights and responsibilities, and more.
Danforth Campus Benefit Representative's Contact Information:
Campus Box: 1190
Medical School Benefits Representative's Contact Information:
Campus Box: 8002